Inventory of "The Steps" Garden as of May 22, 2021:


The Steps garden, August 3, 2020

Key:
# been there since we moved in
*added in 2020
^added before 2020



Sedum#


Sedum, Sept. 16, 2020


Cherry bush#
We had two of these when we moved in, but one winter some little critters ate all the bark off one of them, and that was the end of it.

It is covered with very light pink flowers in early May. Some of the first color in the garden.

Cherry bush, May 2021


Hosta#
This property has tons of hostas, but you'd never know it as the deer routinely mow them down. I'm trying to preserve some this year, and I moved a couple to The Steps garden.

Hosta, May 15, 2021


Big leaf hydrangea#
The deer always eat this down. I think I've seen a flower on it once. I *think* it is a big leaf hydrangea that only blooms on old wood. That's my current theory. With diligent application of liquid fence to the garden this year, I hope to see what it can really do.


Solomon's seal#


Glory of the snow#


??? hydrangea (climbing? probably? Still determining)#
This bush has the habit of getting out of hand and overtaking the deck railing. We pruned it back hard in 2020 and I will attempt to keep it below the the top of the deck railing. I think it climbs the railing. I will attempt to pay better attention this year!

???Hydrangea, May 30, 2020


Bleeding heart^
Gift from Diane. I have three--2 pinks and 1 white, and they have done splendidly over the last few years.

Bleeding hearts, May 23, 2021


Henry's garnet Virginia sweetspire*
I fell in love this little bush when shopping at Freeport Hardware.


Sir Henry, June 20, 2020


Endless Summer 'The Original" macrophylla hydrangea*
A gift from Diane and Dale. The deer love it. I vow to protect it!

"Endless Summer" hydrangea, June 20, 2020


Hydrangea blossom, August 14, 2020


"Pink Cascade" butterfly bush*
Purchased at Sterlings. Abby liked it. Glad it is coming back again this year.


"Double Play Big Bang" spirea*

Spirea, June 23, 2020

Spirea (above Kevin's head), May 2021


Peony#
I moved and divided a peony that was nearer to the pond. It took several years, but in 2020 one of the divided plants finally bloomed! Hoping for a few more blooms this year. One of the divides is obviously miserable as it is still very small. Two seem promising for this year.
These smell heavenly!

Peony, June 19, 2020




Baptisia (false indigo)*
Purchased one in 2020 at the Portland Farmer's Market. Bought a second in 2021 at Home Depot (of all places!)


"Walker's low" catmint*
Purchased at Sterlings. It's back and SO MUCH BIGGER this year.

Catmint, June 13, 2020


"Balmy Purple" bee balm*
Purchased at Sterlings.

"Balmy Purple" bee balm, July 12, 2020


Bee balm#
Bought the "Balmy Purple" from Sterlings in 2020 and shortly after discovered a giant patch of bee balm in the yard behind the bamboo! Transplanted some of it to the garden this year.

Bee balm, surprise patch, August 1, 2020



"Fugi Blue" dragonhead*
Purchased at Sterlings. Abby liked it!

Dragonhead, June 13, 2020


Coneflower*
Can't remember where I picked these up, but I got them because my brother likes them!

Coneflower, August 1, 2020


"New Dimension Blue" salvia*
Purchased at Sterlings. I have two of these.

Salvia, June 13, 2020


Daisies^
Originals from Peggy Marchand (I think?!) and moved here after a time at 37 Hunter.

Daisies, July 8, 2020


Brown-eyed Susans^
Had lots of these at the wedding. I believe they came from Peggy Marchand. They were at 37 Hunter for a while and then I moved some here.

Daisies and Brown-eyed Susan's, June 11, 2020


Milkweed#
Didn't know what this was for years and pulled it out (what a dummy). Now I try to let it be wherever it pops up--for the butterflies. But now if it is outside the designated walls of the garden, it gets mowed down. Sad, but we have to set boundaries!
This year I counted more than 45 shoots within the garden beds! Makes things a little messy looking, but I don't mind.




Sources consulted:"Botany Rules 1: Writing Plant Common Names and English Names" from A Wandering Botanist

Comments